Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-589 Hub City Gearbox

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-589 Hub City Gearbox
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:51:06 -0400
On 06/12/11 03:18 pm, Brian Moran wrote:

> I went outside today to elevate my 2004 vintage US Tower HDX 589, and smelled
> oil around the tower. It appears the Hub City reducing gearbox is leaking oil
> via the input shaft bearing seal. I'm not sure how much has leaked out,
> because I'm not sure how much was in there in the first place.  Have others
> had such an issue, and were you able to fix it yourself? I see what type of
> oil to put into it; certainly just letting it drip is one option, but not a
> good one for me.

According to the drawings and instructions that came with my HDX555, the
plug that is in line with whichever shaft is uppermost is the oil level
plug: 90-wt gear oil should be added through the filler hole at the top
until it just starts to flow from the oil level hole.

BUT NOTE: Your tower has a heavier-duty winch assembly (MDPL-1000 vs.
MDP-750), so the gearbox on yours may be different and the type and
amount of oil might be different. I disclaim all responsibility for any
damage or injury that may result from relying on the information I
provide here.

73

Alan NV8A