Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-589 Hub City Gearbox

To: "Brian Moran" <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-589 Hub City Gearbox
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 06:19:12 -0700
I have some very recent experience with Hub City and their speed
reducing gearboxes. I actually had the bronze gear fail due to the
rusted steel worm gear eating it up...and this was AFTER I flushed the
gearbox 3 times with new oil and manually turning the gear box by hand.
Unfortunately, the damage was done long before I got there and you could
not see the damage through the fill hole.

First and foremost, although many many towers were designed with the Hub
City Speed Reducer W-Series gear box, according to the e-mails I've
exchanged with Hub City, these boxes were never intended for this type
of use. Maybe this is why they are no longer used. Their intended
operation was for conveyors and not a weight carrying reduction gear
(remember, the W-Series is a "speed reducer")! That being said, here is
your oil information.

Hub City recommends Mobil Synthetic Gear Oil SHC634 and/or SHC630.
Actually, they recommend approximately a 100 weight oil. The 634 is 140
weight and the 630 is a 90 weight. Hub City recommended mixing them
50/50. I spoke with Mobil and they say both oils are identical except
for the "weight" and that mixing the oil is not a problem.

SHC634

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shc634

SHC630

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shc630

We use this at the power plant.

Here is another thread on the subject. Don't bother trying to fix the
seal...its not worth it!

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2010-03/msg00379.html

Dino - KX6D