Re: [TowerTalk] Old "new" Prosistel 61 - need comparison with current mo

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old "new" Prosistel 61 - need comparison with current model 61D
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:48:24 -0400
Hi Doug,

On 8/14/2011 10:17 PM, W7ZZ wrote:

I'm afraid I can't give you much of a comparison as I've never even seen
one of the new one other than in photos.
The older models do have some short comings and there were some design
changes made during production, so how close that one is to mine, I
don't know.

The Rotators are rugged, but I'd not use one in an environment where
there is a lot of salt in the air.  I've seen some really bad corrosion
in some of those cases.

Also there is a design flaw in the top of the rotator housing that
allows water to set on the top seal. Actually it's a recess where the
only way out is to evaporate.  I built a cover out of silicone rubber
and filled that area with white Lithium grease.  Also the older rotators
used a gear lube while the newer ones are not packed with grease which
"I believe" is white Lithium grease.  When I rebuilt my PST-61 I drained
and cleaned it thoroughly before packing it with White Lithium grease.

If you are mechanically inclined they are relatively easy to repair
using Normal shop and garage tools and *most* but not all parts can be
found at the local NAPA or automotive store including the bearings.
Unfortunately the main worm gear and worm gear wheel are not.  They come
from Italy and have had horrendous delivery times. I never did get one
even though promised one under warranty.   I did not pursue it as I was
able to salvage that part and turn down the outer shaft for the worm
gear wheel to fit the first undersize seal.

The new PS-T61 appears to have a better top seal with a cover and uses a
DC motor.  There is also a heavy duty motor available.  They are now
handled by either DX Engineering. These things are real power houses,
but I think the Alpha Spid Canadian rotator is near the equivalent for
relatively ham arrays for much less money.  Not quite as sophisticated
looking, but I think my next one may be one of those. Well, other than
the tribander and 7L 6-meter yagi on the 25G which will get a
TailTwister even though it's not one of my favorite rotators.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)