Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loop construction?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loop construction?
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: K7LXC
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loop construction?
>
> There are 2 rotator loop methods. One
> has  cable(s) coming off the mast
> with 5-6 extra feet and it just hangs off the  tower
> and follows the mast
> around as it turns.
>
> The other way is to loop the cable(s) around
> the  bottom of the mast at
> the flat top of the tower 2-3 times. The  cables sit
> on the tower top and
> allow lots of rotation. This is the way  you see on
> ENG (electronic news
> gathering) vans with pneumatic towers sticking  out
> and the cable wrapped around
> the tower. Either way works FB.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve    K7LXC
> TOWER TECH

IME, the latter is bestest when dealing with cables that don't take twisting
very well (semirigid cables and types with aluminum foil shields).  There will
be minimal flexing.  The former imposes more twisting force on the cable.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

PS: It took about 1-1/2 weeks to get a permit submittal appointment with
Snohomish County for my tower.  The appointment is in 3 weeks.  FWIW, they're
on a 20 hour workweek.