[TowerTalk] Grounding kits for Ethernet cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding kits for Ethernet cable
From: "Michael Fox - N6MEF" <n6mef@mefox.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:19:55 -0700
I'm going to be installing a couple of WiFi antennas on a couple of towers
in the near future.  The radio sits on the back of the antenna so the only
wire coming off the tower is an Ethernet cable (with 24VDC Power over
Ethernet to power the radio).

In the past, I have used PolyPhaser devices at the building entrance
bulkhead for my RF cables and rotator cables.  I am aware of but have not
yet used grounding kits for bonding the coax or hardline shield to the tower
leg.  (I didn't use them because I didn't have a tower at the time).

Looking at the PolyPhaser website (www.protectiongroup.com) I see they have
PoE Surge Protectors.  They appear to be inline devices that, perhaps, would
be strapped to a tower leg, but I'm not sure.  There is no user manual
posted on the site.  I wonder if this would be sufficient or if I would also
need to somehow ground the shield of the Ethernet cable (typically a very
light weight foil - don't know if that's even possible).

Is anyone familiar with grounding/bonding practices for outdoor PoE Ethernet
cables going to WiFi antennas on towers?  If so, I'd be appreciative of
pointers to how-to's, or other helpful info you might have.

Thanks,
Michael
N6MEF