Re: [TowerTalk] Fabricated common mode chokes and their impedances

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fabricated common mode chokes and their impedances
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:26:01 -0400
On 8/29/2011 10:01 AM, Tod - ID wrote:
> How high is the SWR on your feed line Roger?

I think it hits around or between 5:1 and 8:1 at the highest point.
> If I was using a feed line that
> had 3:1 or higher I expect I would want to use something other than RG58,
> RG59 or RG8X. Davis BuryFlex certainly will do the job but I think Teflon
> dielectric coax will work too. Have you tried RG400U as the coax for the
> chokes? That is what I use here in Idaho,
Most of my feed lines were LMR-400 and the minimum bend radius would
allow it to work. It also stays put where ever you bend it and is fairly
slippery for feeding through the cores.  I do not use the UF or Ultra
Flex versions because of the rubber like jacket that does not slip well
and deteriorates  rapidly out in the elements...probably UV sensitive.

I've since gone to mostly LMR-600 except to the center fed slopers where
I use Davis BuryFlex for 75 meters. I did use CNT240 for the feed line
to the 40 meter center fed sloper but it did not stand up well to the
movement caused by the wind. I've found CNT240 to be low loss, but rigid
and easily broken.   Right now I'm using Davis BuryFlex, but would like
to try RG8X on 40 (foil plus braid) as it's very flexible, light, and
has low wind resistance. The voltages are too high for 8X and CNT240 on
75 and 160 at the band edges..
I hope to get a chance to try remoting balanced line tuners at the tower
and using 450 ohm window line from them to the antennas.  I'd like to
avoid using 4:1 baluns as a shortcut to running open wire from the tower
to the antennas.

The problem with that approach is I lose a lot of ability to raise and
lower antennas easily and I have to climb around the weather proof boxes
containing the tuners when going up the tower. OR at leas some one has
to climb around them.  Maybe it's time to take the big 45G down and
replace it with  a couple of heavy duty crank ups.

73

Roger (K8RI)