Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing slip joints seized - my final answer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tubing slip joints seized - my final answer
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:59:54 -0700
On 9/7/2011 4:16 PM, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
> The issue was a little more "complex" than I first thought.

I've encountered similar issues in rebuilding an antenna that we took
down from the shack of a silent key, and also with using some of his
bone yard to build antennas from scratch.  In one case where I needed to
add an inch or two to an element that wouldn't move or was already at
its reasonable limit, I simply slid a larger piece of tubing over the
end of it.

The good news is that the YAGI program on the Antenna Book CD has done a
very nice job of modeling anything that I've thrown at it so far, to the
extent that they've worked right the first time without the need to
tweak any of the elements. Unfortunately, I can't think of how you might
get it to deal with your capacity hats. :)  Others have reported that
the DOS program that SCALES an existing design to different tubing
diameters also works well.

73, Jim K9YC