[TowerTalk] Rooftop towers in NYC

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rooftop towers in NYC
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 19:58:27 -0400
Hi Gang,
Back in late May/Early June, John (w2GD) installed a nice rooftop antenna
system for me (love it).  Now I had done a search of the rules myself prior to
having the system installed, plus talked to other hams

Well, a neighbor called the building Dept to complain, and they started an
investigation

I got the news and official word today, and it was good - I'm legit

Here is what I have been able to find out:
If the antenna and support structure is
1)NON Commercial
2)LESS than 20 ft high

It is NOT regulated by the Dept of Buildings and does NOT need a permit - they
basically fall into the same category as a TV or receiving radio antenna

There ARE Fire Dept of NY rules - they basically apply to antennas (or ANY
rooftop structures) on a roof that it pitched at LESS than 20 degs, and
basically it has to do with not obstructing FDNY members trying to walk across
the roof (put any wires at ground level or more than 6 ft up), but these rules
do NOT apply to me, so I did not look up the exact rules

This is just an FYI for anyone thinking about antennas in NYC

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com