Re: [TowerTalk] heat shrink weathering

To: "Joseph or Ruth Patrick" <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>, "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] heat shrink weathering
From: "Marlon K. Schafer \(509-982-2181\)" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:52:20 -0700
When I was in the service we used quite a bit of this:
http://raychem.te.com/CableProtection.asp

Pretty cool stuff.  It had something in the jacket that showed when you were
getting it hot enough etc.

Lately I've used some from a local electrical supply house.  It worked well,
had lots of glue inside etc.

What I found in my area is that when it gets cold the glue gets hard and
doesn't stay sealed to the cable.  This resulted in water penetration.

For the high frequencies that I work with this was a major problem.  Any
little bit of water at 2400mhz is a disaster.  I've seen a LOT of sub 1ghz
connections with no weather proofing at all work just fine.

The heat shrink is great stuff where you can use it.

laters,
marlon