Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground

To: 'ROBERT HARMON' <k6uj@pacbell.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:41:11 -0400
Electric fence wire is usually aluminum or galvanized steel.

If you just want something to experiment with under the expectation that it
need last only a few years, by all means use aluminum or galvanized or welding
wire.

On the other hand, if it's a permanent installation, bite the bullet and get
copper.  Even if you're running QRO, you don't need anything heavy gauge as
long as you lay down enough radials.  The current will be divided among them.
Even #22 or #24 magnet wire will work if you take enough care to protect it
from mechanical damage until it gets absorbed into the thatch.

One of the regular columnists in QST recently chastized the readership for
stereotyping hams as cheap.  OK, except that there are a lot of cheap hams!  If
you want to be "frugal", then you have to be resourceful.  Look around and you
can probably find lots of CAT5 or J-K that's been ripped out of an office being
remodeled.  That cable contains a useful amount of #24 copper wire that could
be repurposed, although at the cost of your time.

Or go buy a 1000' box of CAT5 cable at Lowe's for about $100.  That will yield
8000 feet of #24 copper wire.

Al
AB2ZY