Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground

To: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:56:20 -0700
Al,

The CAT5 cable sounds good, thanks for the info.

Yes many of us hams are characterized as being cheap.  I agree with the QST
columnist that chastized QST readership providing the cheap
ham stereotype.  In my opinion they are basing their opinion on  a superficial
understanding
of a typical hams spending for equipment and materials.  They need to drill
down a few layers and see the overall spending profile. Take a look at a
typical hams station.  He or she typically has a substantial investment in the
radio gear itself,  not inexpensive stuff, hihi.   Then we look for the
bargains for the peripheral equipment like coax/fittings/wire/wire, etc.  I am
guilty of hauling home used coax, etc from almost every ham radio flea market I
attend.  I can't resist.  :-)
Sourcing materials for a radial system is a good example of when to put on your
"cheap" (or I like your term frugal)  hat.  Anything that is going in or on the
ground will have a limited life span and it makes sense to minimize your
investment knowing it will need to be replaced more frequently than other
antenna
wiring.  There is a swap meet coming up in a couple of weeks, I need to have my
truck ready.  :-)

73,
Bob
K6UJ