[TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:51:31 -0400
Hi Steve, et. al...

I've been following this thread with interest.

I have long disliked CoaxSeal for the very reasons you have described.
Three years ago I threw a new project up in the air and was at a loss as
to what to use for joint sealing so I tried Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing
Electrical Tape, for the first time.  I found it on the electrical aisle
at Home Depot where I popped a box of the stuff open and liked what I
saw and felt.

It cuts easily with a pair of scissors, leaving no residue and can be
layered and fused together nicely.  The outside of the tape is somewhat
tacky while the inside is very sticky.  Brown paper keeps the inside off
of the outside.  Handling it to seal it to itself is a pleasure as your
hands stay clean.

I folded my tower over a few weeks back and checked the seal of a
LMR-400 to N-Connector to T-Match connection on a six meter beam and the
tape has not shrunk or pulled back and it remains pliable.  Time will
tell but I'm pleased with its sealing abilities so far.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtlxTXLxf6EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=2228%20DS.pdf
http://www.shop3m.com/80610322945.html
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202195402/h_d2/ProductDisplay?selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&navFlow=3&keyword=scotch+2228&Ntpc=1&langId=-1&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&storeId=10051&Ntpr=1&ddkey=Search

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com