Re: [TowerTalk] Pull Rope in Conduits?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pull Rope in Conduits?
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:54:42 -0400
On 10/24/2011 1:37 PM, Vincent Weal wrote:
> Do the sections have to be glued? There's no pressure on them and they
> usually have a pretty tight friction fit.

  I used to glue them, but found two things. The conduit needs some sort
of lube to fully seat and at least with conduit I had no problems with
water or roots. The glue served that purpose, but so does DC4 and 5
compounds.  The much thinner wall sewer pipe might not be as forgiving.

I use 1/4" nylon rope twice as long as the run for a pull rope. The
excess is coiled up in the box at either end so it can be pulled back
for reuse.

I've used a"fish tape" to install the rope as I installed the sections
and I've also used it where the overall run was short enough to reach
all the way through with the fish tape. This is not always possible and
you some times see junction boxes or "pull boxes" installed in longer
runs or runs that are not straight. Runs 150' long takes a big fish tape
and that can be work although pulling that little pull rope through 150'
of sufficiently sized conduit should take little effort.

73

Roger (K8RI)