Re: [TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?

To: <K6DQ@ARRL.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:30:38 -0400
Rob:

     When I worked at an electric utility as a substation engineer, I would
specify removing of concrete pedestals from abandoned equipment by the
jackhammer-and-topsoil method.  Our company required removal of the concrete
to a foot below grade, then filling the hole with topsoil and reseeding.
Removing only a couple of inches won't give enough clearance between the
concrete and grass roots to allow the grass to thrive.

     Our crews used air hammers attached to big compressors so successful
removal was never in doubt.  My guess is that an electric hammer would work
on all but the hardest of mixes typically available to the average Joe
Handyman.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F