Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching utility box to tower face

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Attaching utility box to tower face
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:45:07 -0500
On 11/7/2011 9:29 AM, Kenny Young wrote:
> I mounted mine with the unistrut open toward the tower and unistrut straps
> on the tower.  A less chance of kinking/damage to the tower legs.

The U-bolts/saddle clamps on the tower legs do not support a lot of
weight even in the case where I have a large,
steel, NEMA box suspended. I use two saddle clamps for each support (on
each side) and they are only snug. (tightened with and
Excel nut driver and then only snug) The nut driver offers very little
leverage and snugging only by hand with a nut driver
just isn't all that tight. That makes a total of 8 1.25" saddle clamps.
Not cheap, but very effective, but is saving $10 at a place like this
worth it?
100', 45G, over $5000 in antennas, a total of 14 yards of high strength
(high fiber) concrete, near $1000 in guy line, a bit over 1000 feet
of LMR 600, many coax  connectors, and hundreds of hours of labor.