Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bazooka antenna
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:44:19 -0800
On 11/10/2011 6:06 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> I submit that a detectable 2nd harmonic qualifies as a real problem
> especially if it is out of a ham band.

You might want to study FCC Rules on the subject before making that
statement.  They are, in general, tied to the extent of harmonic
suppression below the level of the fundamental, and to "good engineering
practice."   A harmonic will get you in trouble only if it happens to
fall on a frequency used by another service, and is strong enough to
cause interference to that service.

If your equipment meets industry standards for harmonic suppression and
is properly tuned, it is unlikely to do that.  If you're using junk, or
don't bother tuning it carefully, you're more likely to have a problem.
FWIW, the FCC can't even keep illegal CB operators running 500W junk
amplifiers off of 10M (although they ARE trying), and that's at least
30dB stronger (1,000X the power) than the harmonic from a type-accepted
1.5kW transmitter. Try tuning around 28.025 or 28.085 and you'll hear
what I'm talking about.

73, Jim K9YC