[TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 23:05:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi Guys,

Hope you can give provide some wisdom on an antenna problem  I'm having on
40-meters. I'm operating at a temporary QTH and mounted a Hustler  5BTV
vertical up on the rooftop at 30' above ground. Using two 1/4 wave radials  for
40-m. and four 1/4 wave radials for 20m. the SWR across 40-m. was 1.3 to 1.5
 to 1. The antenna radiated pretty well for what it is. ( a simple  GP)

Since I'll be at this QTH for another month and I'd like to  work
12-17-30m. I took the Hustler 5BTV down today and replaced it with a Big
SteppIR
vertical. Using the same radials at with the Hustler... my SWR on 40-m. is now
a terrible 5 to 1 and it doesn't hear well either.  I'd say the reception is
down about 4 S-units.

On 10-30 meters the Big SteppIR Vertical is resonating aprx. 2  Mhz from
the norm:

Transmit Freg SteppIR Resonance

28mhz 24mhz
21mhz 18mhz
14mhz 12.5mhz
10mhz 8mhz
7mhz ? (unfortunately I cannot add add'l length on 40-m. to  find resonance
but the SWR is 5 to 1)

Since I can vary the antenna length I can make the SteppIR  work on 10-30
meters. But I'm wondering what I can do to make it work on  40-meters? The
SteppIR instructions say you can adjust a ground planes resonance  by changing
the radial length. I'm wondering if you think increasing the length  of the
40-meter radials would lower the SWR on 40-m?

I'd appreciate ideas on how to reduce the SWR and increase the  antennas
efficiency on 40-m. Such as: adding more radials to the GP or  increasing the
radial length, etc.

Thanks & 73,

Dick K9OM/9