Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Universal Aluminum Tower

To: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a Universal Aluminum Tower
From: Clint Talmadge <clinttalmadge@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:36:25 -0600
I had a Universal tower that I had more antenna than it was designed to
hold. And like you, I did not like the amount of "sway" it had.  What I did
was to install one set of guys (I used Phillistran) but installed them so
they only came up tight when the tower was a the limit of what I was
comfortable with.  On my 48' tower that was about 12" at the top of the
tower. The guys were actually slack up to that point. The tower was bought
used and had some "egging" of the holes when I got it, and when taken down
after 3 years the holes had not gotten any worse.

Good luck,
Clint - W5CPT -

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone out there successfully guyed a Universal aluminum tower? My
> current configuration is 30 taper, 26 st, 26 taper, 22 st, 22 taper,
>
> 18 st, 18 taper, and 14 top. It has a huge monstrous concrete base. It is
> 80 feet total in height and nothing else in on the tower. I had a TH6 on it
> for 12 years with no problems but just replaced that with a TH-11 (a
> fantastic antennas BTW) which has a 12 sq. ft wind load, considerably more
> than the TH6. With high winds, it moves around quite a bit and I am
> uncomfortable with that. I am thinking of putting two sets of guys on it to
> stabilize the movement without shifting a lot of the load to the guys. The
> tower is protected in most directions by mature trees that are taller than
> the tower and that break the force of the wind quite a bit.
>

> I have seen these towers with a set of rope guys at the top to minimize
> the swaying but I think it was done without any real thought to it.
>
> 73, Dennis W0JX/8
> Milan, OH

*Clint Talmadge*