[TowerTalk] Guying Universal Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying Universal Towers
From: "Michael Kincaid" <w7fkf@fast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 06:32:32 -0600
I had my 70' universal un-guyed for 5 years. I had force 12s stacked 12'
above the tower in 3 levels with a Create RC-5A. The tower was way
overloaded and thus had to be guyed with 4 power company screw anchors and 3
levels of guys (Phillystran). We re-drilled every hole and put in larger
stainless steel hardware. Of course this was not recommended by the mfgr.
But it worked. It taught me many lessons (all expensive). I will always
over-engineer a self support aluminum tower and always stay under the max
wind load. I'm not sure about the strength o f other aluminum towers but
Universal's mfg process demonstrated they performed better tha spes.

Mike - W7FKF