Re: [TowerTalk] Physically Noisy mobile antenna

To: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Physically Noisy mobile antenna
From: Eric - VE3GSI <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 20:46:33 -0500
Hi Roger,

I use a 'Super Gainer' and have not had a problem with the base fold-over
joint.  But, I have had problems with noise which I traced to the joints
where the rods go into the phasing components. So now, every spring I  take
the antenna completely apart and clean each joint with emery paper and a
wire wheel.  While at it I clean the fold-over joint as best I can and so
far no problem there with mine.

Two words of caution, over time (mine is about 9 years old now) the top
phase inductor is showing its age and has cracks in it. Liquid epoxy seems
to have temporarily fixed the problem for now, and yes I know epoxy is not
UV stable. Also a fellow Ham I know accidentally broke the bottom matching
section. He was sure the fold-over joint was frozen and when trying to free
it,  it broke.

As far as the specs, the max power is around 150 Watts. <grin>

Good Luck,
Eric - VE3GSI.