[TowerTalk] layover winch

To: towertalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] layover winch
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:16:43 -0600
Crankup on the tower is AC, but considering a 12V JEEP/ATV type winch for
the layover part of the tower assy here (using the car battery when needed
to lay over the tower). Weight maximum is calculated at 950 pounds. Anyone
using a 12V winch that can make a recommendation? I'm thinking 1500 pound
winch as a minimum and likely a 2500 for safety, though it is really the
cable strength that is important.

Don't know enough about winch branding to know who to avoid. WARN is
expensive, and a little concerned about Superwinch reviews - some
outstanding, some not so good. Gorilla comes recommended, but unsure there
too. Pretty permanent installation here so I want to do it right without
over-doing or under-doing it.

Mike, k5wmg

*

*