Re: [TowerTalk] layover winch

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] layover winch
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:42:22 -0800 (PST)

________________________________
 Mike,

The perceived weight at the winch (with a single pulley) will be far greater
than the weight of the tower because of the shallow angle of the layover cable
when the tower is near horizontal. Block and tackle can reduce the load but you
double the length of cable to spool out or take up for every pair of pulleys
added.  I don't know how to calculate the changing load but it was quite
obvious based on my exertion levels when cranking the winch to lay over or
raise the 70' Triex tower I had.

be safe,
Jim W5QM

*