Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Legs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Legs
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:48:14 -0500
On 12/22/2011 12:40 PM, Warrenwolff wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I note the comment about CadWelding to a tower
> leg.  I have seen posts here (where else?) on how
> to do it and then, just "don't do it".
>
> The installer I am using wants to exothermically
> attach my #2 copper to the legs of an AN-HD60
> tower, whose legs are definitely not thin.
>
> This was in response to my failed attempts to locate
> any "stainless shims" for clamping the #2 to the

I have never bothered with stainless shims.  I just clamp the copper to
the tower leg and have done so for many years. I've never had a
corrosion problem with this type of connection.  I'm not saying this is
the way to go, or even recommending it to any one.  Much depends on the
PH of both the soil and rain in your area.  With stranded #2, I just
spread out the strands, parallel them (close spaced) on the tower leg
and then use a couple of SS hose clamps to get a good physical and
electrical contact.  I've also used plain old copper
connectors/terminals that bolt to the tower leg and the bare #2 inserts
into the end of the connector and is held in place by a large setscrew.
You can paint the connection, paint it with asphalt, or use liquid
electrical tape, but protect the junction from the elements.

CadWelding to tower legs will weaken the tower legs. On solid tower legs
it *MAY* not (and probably won't) matter depending on the size of the
legs and the load they support.
I wouldn't hesitate to CadWeld to the legs of those "dirt bases" I build
using solid, 1" steel rod for the legs, mainly because they are dirt
bases.  Even after softening the legs by CadWelding to them, some thing
else would fail far sooner than those legs.

CadWelding to tubular tower legs will remove ALL of the galvanizing from
both inside and outside at the point of the CadWeld. That and
particularly the inside of the leg are now prime for rusting which is
likely to cause premature failure.

73

Roger (K8RI)