[TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:23:56 -0800
Hi All

I just put up an elevated 40 meter vertical.  The feedpoint is around 15
feet or so up and I have 8 radials on it right now.  I cut the radials the
same length of the vertical section.  I have a coil of around 8 turns of
coax for a choke.

It works good, as the first day I put it up, I worked some Europeans from
here in Oregon.

The thing that seems strange is that at the low end of 40, the SWR is around
1.3:1.  As I go up the band, it goes up to about 1.5:1, then when I get to
the top of the band, it goes back down to 1.2:1.
Is that because some of the radials are resonating at different parts of the
band??  73

Tom W7WHY