Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 19:49:25 -0800
Tom,

Back to your question -  you should declare VICTORY!  The wide bandwidth
may be due to the various lengths and/or couplings of the elevated
radials.  There is nothing to indicate you have high losses in your
antenna system and you are happy with the performance.  You have more
than enough radials for an elevated vertical, see the recent QEX and QST
articles.  On 40m your SWR losses are negligible with RG8.

I've tried EZNEC on elevated radial systems for 40 and 80m, including
metal roofs and found that the code has a hard time with them, the
results are very sensitive to system ground locations and parameters.
So, I think it is difficult to design/make for perfect resonance or 1:1
SWR, whatever you think best with real elevated radial HF vertical antennas.

The only thing I would suggest is to put a better choke balun at the
feedpoint - see K9YC's designs using Type 31 ferrite toroids.

Grant KZ1W