Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: wa8jxm@gmail.com, w7why@frontier.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:54:43 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ken, the statement "low swr does not indicate resonance" is a bit
narrow. Perhaps "does not unnecessarily indicate resonance" would be more
accurate.

If the feedline has a high loss, the swr would be low even with a  highly
non-resonant load connected

If the feedline loss is low, then minimum swr would coincide with
resonance. Using your example of 30 ohms, at resonance the resulting 50 ohm
vswr
would be 1.67. Moving off frequency until there is 10 ohms +x results in a
vswr  of 1.77 (ignoring any change in the 30 ohm value). Moving off frequency
until  there is 10 ohms -x also results in vswr= 1.77 (also ignoring any
change to the  30 ohm value).

Minimum vswr then indicates resonance in that system. As you say, resonance
 does not necessarily provide a low vswr. Resonance does provide minimum
vswr at  the frequency in use.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/22/2011 7:09:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,