Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Private Airstrips
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 23:45:38 -0500
On 12/29/2011 8:16 PM, Bert Almemo wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I don't think anyone is allowed to fly as low as 100ft over populated areas.
Typically they aren't *BUT* When I use Google Earth I show you as only
1.73 statute  miles, or less than 1.5 nautical miles  from the end of
the nearest runway (runway 05) and that is a registered airport with the
identifier of CO43. ( http://www.airnav.com/airport/CO43 ) Your location
is very close to the pattern where planes might be turning to a left
base for runway 05.  If you are that close to a registered airport you
definitely need to talk to the FAA about antennas *before* you put one
up.  There are too many "it depends" for me to even guess what the FAA
will say.  BTW they'll probably be able to tell you if you have to
contact the National Park Service.

It is a private, maintained airport open to the public if you call
ahead.  Are you in a national park area? I notice many "Colorado
National Monument" labels very close to you.  IE one is less than a mile.

If they have a fly-in or there is a tourist attraction close by that
people might fly in to see you could see a lot of low flying aircraft as
you are practically under the pattern for the airport.

At least the nearest major airport is Grand Junction at 11 NM which
should be no factor.  BTW all aviation distances are normally measured
in nautical miles, at least state side.

> That would definitely be too close for comfort for me!;-)

I had a DC6 parked just off the end of an 8500 foot runway.  There was a
cross wind and I'll swear his tires actually touched the sod at he end.
He was probably 10 feet directly above us.  The whole car shook.  I
think he did it on purpose<:-))

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)