Re: [TowerTalk] Pattern Distortion caused by faulty balun?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pattern Distortion caused by faulty balun?
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:37:35 -0500
All,

Jim Browns paper on baluns and chokes is very informative. It's written
so even a layman (like me) can get the gist of what a choke is supposed
to do.

As far as I can tell, the pattern on my M-Squared 5 element mono band
Yagi seems fine. I use the  calibrated s-meter on my Flexradio to check
the antennas pattern. It measures signal strength in dbm as well as
s-units and the front-to-back varies between 18 to 24db (sometimes a bit
more). The overall pattern seems fine.

That said, I'd still like to check the to see if the M2 balun is
isolating the feed line from the antenna. It's not exactly tower work
weather here in the northeast so I was wondering if there's a way to see
if the balun is doing it's job from inside the shack?

HNY...

Tony, K2MO