Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 wave sloper attachment

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 wave sloper attachment
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 14:08:42 -0500
On 1/2/2012 7:27 AM, Mike wrote:
> On 1/1/2012 5:34 PM, K8RI wrote:
>> On 1/1/2012 1:56 PM, Mike wrote:
>>> I need to replace the attachment for my 160/80 meter 1/4 wave sloper (fed
>>> at the same
>>> point, attached to one leg of the tower). I'm currently using an
>>> Alpha-Delta sloper
>>> connector, but it's in bad shape after 19 years. Suggestions?
>> This is what I did:
>> http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower46.htm
>> http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower47.htm An example of how it
>> mounts to the tower leg.

To to along with the photos, I took a piece of 3/4 X 1/8" Aluminum
about 8 or 10 inches long. Securely clamped the Aluminum in the drill
press, drilled the hole for the SO239 using progressively larger drills
so they didn' take too big a bite at one time. After the SO239 became a
slip fit, I clamped the piece in a vise to make the 90 degree bend. I
thoroughly  sealed the fitting using flooded heat shrink and liquid
electrical tape.  Just in case there is also a drip loop that
immediately goes higher than the connection when installed. The two SS
hose clamps are all I use to hold the fitting. The insulator is held to
the tower by a short piece of 3/16 nylon braided rope. This removes the
strain from the fitting.

I had to move the resonance from the bottom of 160 to around 1925 or 50.
With the antenna resonant lower, the tuner would arc with much more than
a 100 or 200 watts when I'd try to operate near the top end of the
band.  This would be a great place to mount a remote tuner and feed the
half sloper like an end fed wire.

73

Roger (K8RI)