Re: [TowerTalk] Mastrant Rope ? guy wire ?

To: Mike <nf4l@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mastrant Rope ? guy wire ?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:00:46 -0800
Several possible answers -

Some fibers creep at low (15% breaking) loads until they break.  Not so
good for guys!
Some creep and stabilize to a fixed strain w/o much change in breaking
strength.  Phillystran says set the initial guy load at 15% B.S. and it
will relax to 12% which is the recommended level.
The breaking strength change for most fibers is dependent on stress
cycling history and is complicated.
Other factors also modify breaking strength - moisture absorption, fiber
lubrication, contamination... and fibers are different in how they
respond to these issues.

Fiber ropes are so complex and varied, that I'm convinced that for
permanent guys there are only (IMHO) three proven solutions - EHS,
Phillystran, and solid rod and are used on large commercial towers.  It
would be interesting to know if there are 300, 600 or 1000 footers out
there with other guy materials.

Grant KZ1W