Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Tubing Grease

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Tubing Grease
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:46:31 -0500
On 2/1/2012 12:19 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> If you use Never-Seez make sure it is the nickel particle type, not
> copper.  The copper will react with the aluminum.  There are also other
> brands with aluminum particles.
>
> NoAlox works well also, it has zinc in it which is specifically for
> electrical connections.  It was really hard to get the last 30% of the
> Noalox out of the 4oz Home Depot squeeze bottles.  We used 5 bottles for
> two 40m Moxon beams.
>
> All are messy.  I wear a nitrile glove to spread it evenly by hand on
> the joint.

I usually wear either the Latex, or Polyethylene surgical gloves. As I
do a lot of fiberglass work I usually have a box of both around.  They
cost about 10 cents (or less) per pair. The Polyethylene are easier to
put on...maybe reuse a couple of times, and if you are one of those who
are allergic to latex about the only thing available. This type of glove
also gives much better tactile  feedback, but they offer very little
mechanical protection.  The poly gloves will dissolve in acetone and
some other chemicals, but not the paint thinners I use.  So I wear then
when spray painting as well, even spray cans to avoid the "painted finger"

73

Roger (K8RI)