Re: [TowerTalk] tower setbacks/falling trees

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower setbacks/falling trees
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 00:37:04 -0500
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:53 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower setbacks/falling trees

> VE7RF wrote:
SNIP
 Freestanding towers, like
> Trylons  are designed to break at the 40' level..and not at the
> base.They will not  fall full length.

SNIP
> You say designed to break at a particular point.  I hadn't seen that in
> any of the drawings I've seen, but then, I wouldn't think they would put
> a dashed line and arrow in a bubble saying >Break here.   But it is an
> interesting concept.

SNIP

TT:
     The taller Trylon Titan towers (sorry for the alliteration) are
constructed of two gauges of steel.  The upper, smaller sections are thinner
gauge while the bottom, larger sections are heavier gauge material.

     If you were to use Trylon's software for determining the safety factor
for a given tower http://www.trylon.com/lightdutytowers/towercalc.asp , the
results would show that the tower would run out of safety factor, i.e.,
fail, where the thinner material joins the heavier material.  This is
usually about mid-height for the assembled structuree.

     In other words, these towers will bend roughly in half when they fail.
Try the software with some fictional antenna loads to see for yourselves.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F