Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew Heliax Conx

To: "Jim Miller" <jim@jtmiller.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew Heliax Conx
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:34:10 -0800
Andrew has been owned by Comscope for many years now.  AVA5-50 replaced
LDF5-50 which is 50 ohm 7/8" nominal diameter Heliax. LDF4-50 is still
available and has been on the market for at least 15+ years.

The AVA line of Helix (which is a trademark of Andrew/Comscope)  is a less
dense foam and the velocity factor is 91% and has less loss. AVA stands for
"virtual air". It still has a white foam dielectric but is much less
"visible" at RF. Closer to air dielectric that to foam dielectric.

In my profession, it seems like the AVA line of cable is more delicate that
the LDF line. I sweep thousands of feet of this a year after it's mounted on
the tower and have found some pieces that don't meet specifications for
return loss. As long as you don't bump it during installation, it's fine.
But don't let it bang into the tower in the wind and certainly DO NOT STEP
ON IT!

73
Jim W7RY