Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for loops inside shack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for loops inside shack
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:27:44 -0500
On 2/22/2012 2:15 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 2:27 PM, Gene Fuller wrote:
>> How much power/SWR will RG-8X  handle
> POWER is not the only issue. SHIELDING can matter FAR more than power if
> you are doing a multi-transmitter operation.  Jorge -- are you doing
> more than one transmitter -- SO2R or multi-two?  If you are, using
> bigger coax with a very good shield can reduce interference between
> stations. All of my feedlines are either Heliax, CATV hard line, Belden
> 8213 (RG11), Belden 8237 (RG8), or a Commscope cable that's slightly
> better than LMR400.

That was basically the reason I went to the LMR 400 and 600 UF.  I
wanted the better isolation and had lots of UF...like over a 1000 feet.
I've never liked Belden since lightning blew off the water proofing at
the top of the tower and I ended up with water running out of the
rig.    The damage was more to the desk than to the equipment and I
realize Belden generally makes good coax, but that experience soured me
on them.  I do have a 100 feet or so of 1/2" Heliax, but have found the
1/2" to be too fragile and larger in the station would be a bit
unwieldy.  I agree that the comscope would be a slightly better choice,
but as I have rolls of both LMR 400 and 600 it wasn't "that" much better
<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)