Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Romex for Rotor cable
From: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 22:23:09 -0500
Romex for Rotor cable?

When I was building my new home in the woods, I had to run power, phone, water
and some signal lines. I didn't want to do a clear-cut for the power lines so I
asked the power company if they could/would run their 7500 Volt primary in an
underground trench to the house.
They said they would be willing to do that since it would preclude the high
probability of trees being blown down and taking  out the power lines. They
told me I needed a 48 inch deep trench for their primary line and I had to dig
the trench.
I then asked how far from the primary line will my water line and fone line
have to be. They said minimum, 24 inches. I then told them I would dig a 24
inch wide trench and lay their primary line on one side of the trench and all
my other stuff on the other side of the trench. I got a HORRIFIED, YOU CAN'T DO
THAT !
I asked why not ?
He said he didn't know but I couldn't do it anyway. I told him that I was not
about to dig 2 1500 foot trenches when I could logically dig one wide enough
and lay all the stuff in it and cover it back up.  I told him to check on it
and call me back.
Dunno who he checked with but the next day he told me to do it, which I did. I
laid 4 water lines, a pair of #10 copper, an 18 conductor, two 3-pair fone
lines in the trench and it's been working well for 15 years. And what I laid
was not rated as direct burial.  I really don't understand all this crap about
direct v. nondirect burial. It aint exposed to UV and there aren't any critters
chewing on it at that depth.
Bottom line - IT WORKS, LASTS A LONG TIME.

In the 15 years I've been living here, I've had trees take down power lines
maybe a dozen times, but on other people's property where the primary was above
ground. Where the line approached my prop, a tree came down in their clear cut
(they hadn't cut that particular DEAD tree) and I called the power outage to
them and told them exactly where the problem was. Their business plan for line
preservation, while looking good on paper, isn't all that great in practicality.