Re: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:26:33 -0800
On 3/2/12 11:15 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

> That says more about what some people read into computer programs than
> it does about about "what some computer says is optimum".  VOACAP is
> based upon empirical data and statistical analysis, and as such it
> displays predicted (not absolute) results for a representative (not
> absolute) time period within certain accuracy limits .  HFTA used VOACAP
> to determine the predicted best takeoff angles for various paths **as an
> average over an entire eleven year sunspot cycle**.

which is an interesting point.. I think most hams have a "cycle time"
for antennas which is shorter than a sunspot cycle. one might want to
look at predictions for 5 years into the future (yes, speculating wildly
about SSN, etc.) if that's your antenna building planning horizon.

Rather than trying to build something that works for all SSNs, optimize
for the next few years, and then plan to change.