Re: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:43:40 -0500
Frank, all that any good current book on antenna design will do is refer
you back to the same propagation realities that are used by HFTA and
other modeling software.  HFTA produces nomograms that show what the
best takeoff angle will be for a particular target area, as share of 100
percent.  Those are then matched with the antenna patterns generated
over real ground profiles, and a figure of merit is produced that tells
you, on *average*, how well a given antenna system at your QTH will
perform relative to the target area.  Of course, conditions will vary
from day to day, or year to year, that is exactly what you want to
know.  It doesn't absolve you from the need to design and build a good
antenna, but even the best antenna will be (on average) inferior if
placed at the wrong height.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,