Re: [TowerTalk] Temp tower idea

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temp tower idea
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:23:43 -0700
On 3/13/12 12:23 PM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> Having experience with HSMM-MESH my recommendation would be to have
> something that is over peoples heads and then relay it from the edge of
> the area where there are fewer people and where you can put your taller
> tower.
>
> The biggest issue we have found in the past couple of years is that
> everything works until people show up. Nowadays everyone has a phone
> with WiFi that is trying to find a signal and it raises the noise floor.
> And what worked when testing, does not work when the public shows up.
>
> The best fix is to use directional antennas at horizontal polarity, and
> get the long distance hop away from the 6000 people.

What about 5.8 GHz band?

But more towards the tower thing..
One of those 40 ft poles from the Spiderbeam folks could easily hold
something up at 30+ ft without too much trouble. You'd need to figure
out some sort of base to hold it upright (i'd look at a tripod of short
painter poles or 2x4s or something like that.)

At 40 ft, the tippy top is pretty thin and flexible.

They also have taller poles that are bigger.