Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:02:02 -0400
On 4/25/2012 10:46 AM, Stan Labinsky Jr. wrote:
> Gentlepeople:
>
> If I may, I'd like to recommend a product that for me has really worked.
> And I'm one who usually takes a bit of convincing.
>
> www.buggspray.com offers a spray, actually several which I find very
> effective, does what it says it'll do.
>
> I personally prefer the vanilla scented spray... hey, I like the smell of
> vanilla... and they say that black flies seem to not like it... I can live
> with that!
>
> They also offer a Permethrin based spray, like the product Permanone which
> really smells awful.
>
> Theirs is called "Buggspray Insect Repellent For Ticks", a rather intuitive
> name ;-) which has little odor at all.
>
> This is the stuff you treat your clothing with, it's not for direct on-skin
> use.  It too works, very well
>
> A hunter friend told me, long ago about the Permethrin based repellents.
> Two of his bow hunter friends were out in Westchester county, one with
> and one without.
> The guy with had absolutely no ticks on his clothing, the other guy without
> had to dig a few dug out of his skin... end of case.

We're wandering  a bit, but you don't pull or dig out ticks except as a
last resort.  Pulling them usually removes the tail end only leaving the
head to cause problems.   Light a match, let it go out, then touch the
rear of the tick with the still hot, match head.  They'll back right out
in a hurry.    If you're one of the few who still smoke a  lit cigarette
will work equally well.

   73

Roger (K8RI)