Re: [TowerTalk] Sprockets with 2" bore needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sprockets with 2" bore needed
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:46:38 -0400
On 4/27/2012 5:15 PM, K1TTT wrote:
> I would find a chain that will handle the force plus safety factor then get
> a sprocket that is meant for it.  If the chain can handle it hopefully they
> have designed the sprocket to be better than the chain.  Don't just go with
> industrial suppliers, check automotive, motorcycle and atv parts suppliers
> also.

One thing that first entered my mind when I started this was the primary
chain and sprockets for the Harleys.
Also look at the first two photos on
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/skyhook.htm. Unfortunately none
of them show the chain clearly that thing is turning over a ton. It's
turning roughtly a 100' of a straight, 3 3gged tower with 3" diameter
legs plus the large arrays on it.  Photos, 5, 6, and 7. The thrust
bearing is close to half a ton.

thanks,

Roger (K8RI)