Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antennas
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 21:33:39 -0400
> Bill,
>
>> According to the program the BIP and BOP at these heights cover EU,
>> SA and US pretty well if I BIP/BOP.
> Don't pay any attention to the elevation statistics for 6 meters from
> HFTA.  In a private e-mail exchange with Dean some time ago, he pointed
> out that there are no elevation statistics in the program for Six -
> what you see are actually the *Ten* Meter statistics and they *are not*
> accurate for typical Es on six.
>
> Effectively, F2 openings are so "rare" that VOCAP does not generate
> usable elevation statistics ... most of the six meter openings are Es,
> TEP, etc.

Even as low as the last sunspot peak, there were quite a few F openings,
But other than a year of so around the peaks F openings are almost non
existent.
So for the peaks that information would be quite desirable.
For the AU that is present during those peaks, you'd probably do best
with a higher angle of radiation.
I had my 7L C3i at 115 feet and all I can say about the performance at
that height and those band conditions is ...*Outstanding!*
But OTOH I'm quite a ways from the SE, being in Central Michigan.

73

Roger (K8RI)