Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Paint

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Paint
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:40:34 -0700

That's a bit exaggerated, in my opinion.  I have an AN Wireless hot
dipped galvanized free standing tower that I wanted to paint with flat
dark colors to better blend in with the hillside for aesthetic reasons
(neighborhood good will).  The owner of the company told me that any
good quality exterior latex paint would work fine, and he was right.  I
brushed on two or three coats of Behr exterior latex (no primer) and
after four years in the hot Arizona sun and wind the paint is as solid
as when I put it on.  Pictures of the initial paint job are at
www.ab7e.com.

If the tower had a lot of rust, had lost it's galvanizing, or if the
galvanizing was plated and shiny it might be a different story, but
painting over good galvanizing is not the cause for alarm you make it
sound to be.  My previous house had a lot of galvanized flashing on the
roof, and the latex paint on it held up just fine for thirty years in
Phoenix.

Dave   AB7E