[TowerTalk] OR-2800DC questions

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] OR-2800DC questions
From: Jay Kesterson K0GU <k0gu@verinet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 13:33:14 -0700
Hi all,

   Need some advice on an OR-2800DC that is about 12 years old. Over the
years apparently the soft metal welded to the top plate, that attaches
it to the hard steel output shaft, wallowed out creating a lot of play.
This apparently caused the 1/4" guide bolt to unscrew and damaged the
inside of the rotator. I replaced the top plate and that got rid of a
lot of play. But I just opened to rotator to find a mess.

   The big gear on the output shaft has lowered down somewhat into the
rotator. The limit switch pin on the gear has dug into the torque plate:

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/K0GU/K0GU%20MISC/DSCF1214.jpg

   Also the gear itself has ground down the top of the limit switch lever:

  http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/K0GU/K0GU%20MISC/DSCF1215.jpg

   I believe the gear itself has slipped down the shaft about ~13 mm as
the shaft looks very shinny for ~13 mm above the gear. If I measure from
the bottom of the gear to the bottom of the shaft I get approximately 33 mm.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/K0GU/K0GU%20MISC/DSCF1216.jpg

   The part the shaft sits on rises approximately 7 mm above the torque
plate:

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/K0GU/K0GU%20MISC/DSCF1221.jpg

   I'm reasonably sure the problem lies with the gear position on the
output shaft but wonder if anyone can confirm my measurements?? I sent
M² an Email with all the above info but they suggested I sent it in for
a $300 repair (plus $100 shipping) and made no comment about my
measurements. So I would like to verify that it really is the gear on
the shaft and fix it myself. Despite the look of the torque plate/limit
switch lever everything seems to be working OK if the 7 mm measurement
is correct.

73,  Jay  K0GU