Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol 83-1SP

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol 83-1SP
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:48:37 -0500
The simplest thing to do is go directly to the Amphenol web site:

http://www.amphenolrf.com

Once there, you can view the complete line of UHF series connectors,
with complete part numbers.  There are also installation instructions,
drawings and detailed specifications.  There is even a place to check
distributor stock/inventory.  If you're looking for UHF series male
(PL-259) connectors there are, in fact, 8 different solder install
versions available.  These have different combinations of plating and
insulators available

A few words about electronic component distribution.  Manufacturers
generally distribute (sell) their products through "franchised"
distributors.  These are the Mousers, Digi-Key, Newark, Arrow, Avnets of
the world.  In addition, they may also sell directly to other
distribution outlets.  These might be the distributors we as hams
typically purchase from.  These non-franchised distributors may also buy
from franchised distributors if they are not placing large enough orders
to purchase directly from the manufacturer (Amphenol).  Be advised
though that these non-franchised distributors can buy UHF connectors
from ANYONE and sell them....this is the stuff you see at hamfests in a
plastic bin or plastic bag.

What does all this mean?  If you really want Amphenol connectors you
either have to buy directly from them in LARGE quantities or you have to
buy from one of their franchised distributors.  You can find these
distributors by checking the above web site link.

Speaking of buying Amphenol connectors at hamfests.  I looked all over
the flea market and commercial exhibitors for Amphenol UHF barrel
connectors (double female).  I never found ANY available at any price
manufactured by Amphenol other than a few used ones in poor condition in
a cardboard box.  If I remember, I did see some Amphenol PL-259's at a
few commercial exhibitors and if I recall they were asking in the
neighborhood of $7.00 each!  Yikes!

Be sure of what you're buying and who you're buying them from.  Always
specify a manufacturer and a complete manufacturer's part number.

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org