[TowerTalk] Tower Re-Cabling

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Re-Cabling
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:01:27 -0400
While this subject has no doubt been covered at some juncture in the past, I
will ask it again since I have personal and immediate interest in the
answers as well as a friend who is about to put up a similar tower.
  My HyGain HG-70 needs new cables. Those on the tower now are galvanized
and as I recall these were recommended over stainless steel.  The tower uses
TWO 1/4 cables for the bottom and middle section with ONE 3/16" cable for
the top section. Are there degrees of durability, quality, longevity, with
respect to these cables?  I am not talking about walking into Harbour
Freight or Home Depot and buying some imported stuff. And there are local
shops that can make them to length with the nico-pressed  ends.  But beyond
that, what is the best cable to use and is there a dealer where these are
available that one can rely on getting quality cables that will last 5-7
years in a salt water/air environment such as here in Florida?  Thanks in
advance...  - Mike