[TowerTalk] Mast slipping

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast slipping
From: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:00:17 -0500
I just got down from my tower after turning my XM-240 in line to match the
rotor and other antenna AGAIN.
I have done this several times now and I just can't get a grip on why this
continues to happen. I haven't had trouble with any other of my antennas,some
have more windload than the XM-240.
As I was up there enjoying the view and thinking why this one turns I had an
idea and wanted to ask others ideas.
First it is up 85 feet and has been up for 6 years and I think it works great.
It is much more stout than the 40-2CD that I had up before but came down piece
by piece in a bad windstorm.
I am using the stock clamp which seems to be great,the only thing that I
haven't used one other antennas but did on this one was a galvanized mast from
Texas Towers. Could it be that the mast is too "smooth" to grip? The U-bolts
are not loose when I go up to straighten the antenna. It only happens once a
year or so nd always after a 70-80 MPH windstorm which we get here sometimes.
Looking for ideas.
Gregg  K9KL