Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slipping

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slipping
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 23:03:15 -0400
On 7/22/2012 10:41 PM, Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:
> I modified mine with the hy-gain clamp.   Been up for many years and major
> winds with no problem.  I think those cast clamps are pretty cheap from MFJ
> now.

Cast Al tends to be quite granular and under enough pressure will
"flake" off if the clamp slips. Once they start flaking they have less
gripping capability under the same pressure.  I don't know if this is
happening in this case or not.

Of course instead of casting grooved gripping surfaces ideal would be to
fit the clamp together and bore it just a few thousandths under size, or
bore it to an interference fit with about a 0.005 to 0.01 shim between
the two sides. That would be a perfect fit to the mast with enough slack
to be able to put lots of pressure on it.

Get to know a machinist in your area and/or find a small machine shop,
tell them what you want to do and they'd probably make up or modify a
clamp at a nominal cost.  Beware though, there can be huge differences
in costs between machine shops and if you need a chunk of Al the size of
a mast clamp it can get kinda pricey.   The Al mast clamp is not going
to cut into the steel mast even with aggressive teeth. For that to work
the mast has to be at least a little softer than the clamp.

73

Roger (K8RI)