Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for thoughts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for thoughts
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 22:37:43 -0400
On 8/6/2012 8:17 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
> I'd do the same, except I'd use homemade true open-wire line (not ladder
> line), much lower loss than coax.  With the relays at the antennas.

Open wire in the shack is out of the question because of radiation and
running multiple stations. I was set up for SO2R, but the goal is two
stations in the shop and one in the house running QRO.  That makes open
wire from the shack and switching more than a little complicated,
particularly with two towers, plus a multiband vertical for a total of
roughly 12 antennas.

The amps are tuned into dummy loads using the matching networks are
tuned using antenna analyzers and the VNA. Then the rig is switched to
the antenna with the input to the analyzers and VNA being shorted out.

All coax in the shop runs in two runs of 2" EMT.  Runs to the big tower
are in 3" underground conduit.

73

Roger (K8RI)