[TowerTalk] Aluminum Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Towers
From: jerry@hagrid.xm23.net
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:54:45 -0700 (PDT)
I plan to install a 50' tower and a tri-bander for 20/15/10 and was
originally considering a U.S. Towers 55' crank-up model. While researching
towers, I came across a company called Universal Towers that sells
aluminum free-standing towers.

Based on the specs, the Universal Towers HD-21-50 aluminum tower looks
like it might be a better fit for the following reasons:

* At $1989 it's $2K cheaper than the U.S. Tower crank-up
* It only weighs 190 pounds (spread over five 10' sections), versus >800
for the crank-up, making it a lot easier to get off the truck with fewer
people
* The base doesn't require a rebar cage, making installation simpler
* It won't rust

The HD-21-50 is rated at 21 sq.ft. at 110 MPH, while the U.S. Tower
crank-up is rated at 30 sq.ft. at 50 MPH.

The installation instructions for the aluminum tower says to assemble the
tower on the ground, attach the antenna(s), and then walk it up. In my
case, I don't have 50' of horizontal space to do this. Is it feasible to
climb this type of tower and assemble it vertically section-by-section
with a gin pole? (Whatever I put up will be installed by a professional
tower installer.)

Any reason why I shouldn't consider this aluminum free-standing tower?

- 73, Jerry