[TowerTalk] aluminum towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum towers
From: ronald long <rlong3@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:36:44 -0400
I have had an 80ft Heights Al tower up since 1976, and I bought it
used back then! TH-11 on top. The first three sections might be
unique in that the tubing is 0.25inch wall thickness. I originally
installed it self supporting. During a once-per-hundred-years
blizzard in1978 it was waving around like a mobile whip. So I added
two sets of phillystran guys. They are not under much tension to
limit down force on the tower; just limit the sway. This is because I
have always been told that Al can not stand compression loads like steel.

ron w8gus